Salary : Negotiable (Senior)
Starting date : Soonish/mid-April
Reports to : Creative Director
If it’s not online, did it ever really happen? We’re looking for a full-stack developer with design chops that can turn really weird looking code into fully swish websites. As our resident ultra-nerd at Common Ventures, you’ll spend a whole bunch of your time typing in a different language. Whether you design a blue site or a red site, you’ll be the Neo of our Matrix.
Our priority above all skills and experience is finding a highly competent professional, who is well-educated, dedicated, a quick learner, adaptable and can pick up a new technology quicker than a site’s loading time.
We’re after an all-round thinker who enjoys a fast-paced workplace. There’s an office dog that will require pats from time to time and you will occasionally be subjected the odd 90s banger from Chumbawamba or Scatman John. We apologise for this in advance.
Your role as a Commoner should include the following:
- You are willing to take the lead on all things digital
- Knowledge of web standards is expected, but your focus on usability, experience and responsive design will win the day.
- You have a masterful grasp of Adobe CC products, garnered from years at the coal face.
- You’ve got experience with custom WordPress development – you don’t rely on bloated plugins and pre-made themes to do the heavy lifting.
- You appreciate bells and whistles but user experience and functionality is key.
- You wear a strategic hat (not a fedora) that allows you easily hurdle over problems
- You don’t use the word ‘No’ — instead you replace it with ‘let me find out’
- Proactive-self-motivated is your double hyphenated middle name
- You work serious, but don’t take yourself too seriously.
- You’re keen to work with a whole bunch of good humans on a whole bunch of different projects.
- You’re extremely passionate about Friday lunch.
- Well-rounded knowledge of content strategy, information architecture and UX principles, coupled with a nerdy obsession with functional specification and site plan documentation & planning.
- Practical grasp of mobile-first and responsive design and development processes, with a strong understanding of cross-browser compatibility.
- WordPress development experience with a practical knowledge of PHP and MySQL — you will need to be able to build an entire site from scratch. We develop meaningful solutions to a vast array of problems, we don’t reskin store-bought themes on the cheap.
- Competence in Adobe CC: Photoshop, Illustrator. Adobe XD an added bonus.
- A sound understanding of security principles, coupled with knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Experience in successfully deploying and maintaining sites on a variety of different hosting platforms.
- The ability to identify and communicate risks and requirements, and provide realistic, sensible solutions for any budget.
- Confidence in working autonomously and taking ownership of challenges.
- The drive to constantly improve your work and further develop the skill set and knowledge required to achieve the best possible results.
- Experience with JS frameworks such as React, Angular, Vue etc.
- Familiarity with version control systems (Git, SVN, etc).
- Experience using CSS Preprocessors such as SASS or LESS.
- Practical knowledge of other scripting languages or CMS platforms.
- Familiarity with a variety of eCommerce solutions including but not limited to Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, etc.
- Knowledge of animation/video, including After Effects and Premiere.
- A preference for tabs over spaces.
- Relevant tertiary education; Web development, computer science & technology, software engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years + development experience.
- 1-2 years experience in a development role within a marketing, communications or technology industry.
- Highly self-motivated, organised, detail oriented, with competent presentation skills
- Ability to prioritise, multi task and follow through in a fast-paced environment.
- You must adhere to our no dickhead policy. We’re not too keen on working with jerks.
- Mentoring & training programs come as an added bonus with the job so you can continue to exercise those brain muscles and keep pounding that career pavement.
How to apply
- Send us your CV, portfolio or link of real work (please don’t include student work). Your cover letter must also include details of your salary expectations.
- A 100-word description of why you think you’d be the perfect fit for Common Ventures. Make us fall in love with you.
- If we are blown away by your work, you will receive an email to ask you to come in for an interview. Interviews may include a creative brief. Get excited.
or if you’d prefer via email:
Executive Creative Director